Day #3: Uneventful Family Day in Seattle

When we first arrived in Seattle, my aunt apologized for not being able to show us around Seattle because she would be working, but (un)luckily for us, she would have Wednesday off and we'd "do something" together. Great right? Well.. Let me share with you all, my aunt's driving causes me to have major anxiety. I was worried about her taking us around Seattle bc I was pretty sure we all would get in an accident (ironic? see Portland for more details). Well what do you know? My mom apparently told my aunt that I wanted to see my other cousin who resides in some suburb in Washington and her toddler son. My take on this? I was pretty content with seeing the baby's picture on my aunt's fireplace mantel.

This is a cousin who I haven't seen since I was like 6 or so (I have a picture of us up on FB). So uncomfortable, especially because I knew there were tensions between her and my aunt (mother-daughter). Great. Super great.

Baby M aka staunch Republican

Well the day was pretty uneventful. We had lunch at a local bakery, Macrina. I got the tuna tartine which was yummy and L got something I can't remember. Then L ordered a caramel turtle brownie for dessert. While making useless conversation, our tight bermuda-wearing, homosexual server came with a cute pink box with L's caramel turtle brownie in it. We took it as a hint to leave and left the bakery with L holding onto her pink box, full of excitement on the thought of eating it later at night.

Impatient that I am, I decided I wanted to take a peek as we walked back to our aunt's. Carefully I opened the pink box and noticed a dull brown thing with powdered sugar on it..

C: Is this the brownie you got?
L: Uh.. No. FUCCCCCCK. THAT DUMBASS SHOULD HAVE STOPPED CHECKING OUT ALL THE GUYS WHO WALKED BY HIM AND PAID ATTENTION TO WHAT I ORDERED. FUCCCCCK. (fire shooting off from her head and smoke coming out of her nose)
C: (GIGGLE, GIGGLE)

Bad times. L got an ordinary, yucky brick of a brownie instead of the caramel turtle brownie she oh-so-coveted. Oh wells. Sometimes life sucks..

When we got back I said bye to my cousin and her son (who I probably won't see until about another 20 years or so) and went back to our room and puttered around thinking of what to do. I was deathly afraid my aunt would say let's go out in her car with her driving... So L and I decided to walk around Seattle (again) and ended up in Starbucks talking about family. Tears were shed. That was when I realized L was indeed a human.

We ended up at Pike's Market (again) eventually and went to Beecher's, a little cafe where they handmake their cheese. They are famous for their mac & cheese so L ordered one and we sat and chit chatted.

the very decadent mac & cheese from Beecher's

& that night, like promised, my aunt took us "around." I don't know if "around" is the right word to use, but anyways we drove to Kirkland, a very bourgy town with lakeside views. It was very pretty. I'm going to guess if I was a yuppie white person I would enjoy living here.

Then it was time to go to bed because we were leaving Seattle for Portland at around 8 AM. L was going all crazy on me so I slept with my music playing loudly in my ear. And that was the end of our Seattle trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment