Day #1 in Portland: No KKKs in Sight

aiyaya

We made it. After 4 hours on the Starlight Coast Amtrak train we got off in Portland. It's HOT! I thought we left the heat back in California but I guess I was wrong. Anyhow, when we got to Portland I called my friend CD to let him know we arrived. As we were waiting for what was supposed to be a 5 minute pick up, I turned to C and said, "Wouldn't it be funny if CD wasn't really my friend and he told us to come visit only to leave us stranded here??" C didn't think it was funny and I had to shut up or get hit. CD came to pick us up a mere 20 minutes after we expected him. Sweet huh?

Portland is super tree-y like Seattle but seems way more old. We went to a chain brewery called McMenamins or something like that for cajuned tator tots and some local beer.

I know, it's just tater tots, but these tater tots were heavenly. Or maybe we were just really famished.

apparently our eyes are too small for our stomach. L & C's first thought when we saw the dip "wow this is really small." definitely established the fact that L & C are fatties.

I found a big leaf growing at the base of a streetlight. It was the highlight of my day.

big leaf growing randomly in the corner of an intersection

Then we went for a scenic drive in Hillsboro and drove past the Little People Big World farm. CD shared some of the plans he had in mind during our stay and we went back to his place to recoup before M came to join us.

yep. C's favorite show. C was too embarrassed to take a picture and by the time L decided to take control, cars were coming in and out of the farm. But C was content with the fact that she's "been" to the farm now. Next goal: get inside.

We picked up M at PDX and went to the Portland City Grill for happy hour. The mixed drinks were great, food was good and the view was fantastic.

C and M hanging out

blurry CD & L. C's camera was not on automatic.

CD's giant cheeseburger, half finished beer & complimentary bread??

C's kung pao calamari (derishus) and M's furikake crusted ahi

>>insert>> L forgot to mention the rest of Day #1, so I (C) will interject here with the rest of the day

After Portland City Grill, we walked over to Voodoo Doughnuts. I've heard a lot about this place (Amazing Race & Food TV) so it was one of our planned stops. Unfortunately with the train ride and a mojito (was it strong? or am I just weak?) I was feeling not good. Spare the details. I don't remember much of Voodoo Doughnuts. All I remember is handing over $20 to L and saying "get whatever you guys want. I want a glazed doughnut."

inside Voodoo Doughnuts

L took charge of my camera and took pictures of whatever inside the little space. I do remember a bumper sticker that read "I got VD in Portland."

Oh, looks like L took a picture of these foul bumper stickers


I don't remember much. All I remember is L got bacon maple bar which I tried a piece and was deliciouss, CD got a doughnut with grape tang which was yummmy and tangy, and did M get a doughnut?? Was I not offered a piece?

Doughnuts.. Yumm


more doughnuts.. yummmmmmms

Then we went to our temporary home and relaxed/slept. The end. Our 0.5 day in Portland was pretty jampacked..

7 comments:

  1. Okaaaaaaaaaaay~ I just figured out how to hyperlink today. If you knew how to do that CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC how come you didn't tell me? Look how sloppy my links are every time I blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this entry is so improved with photos! And I did offer you some of my Mexican Chocolate C, but I immediately told you it was OK and dry so you didn't take me up on it. Trust me, you didn't miss out on anything. I should have gotten a glazed, especially after I heard you enjoying it at full volume the next morning. You really sold me on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sorry M. I don't remember but I probably said no bc I'm not a chocowhore. And yes, my glazed was derishuhs. YOu heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously better with photos. I still think VD sounds like a nasty STi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's because it also stands for venereal disease. Next trip let's get one. The sticker I mean, not a disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL

    If we have a place to stay *grumble grumble

    Hostel?

    ReplyDelete